Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Beet & Apple Slaw






The day before my husbands birthday, I asked him what kind of side dish he wanted with his birthday meal of BBQ'd burgers.

"Slaw." he replied.

"What kind of slaw?" I asked in return.

"I dunno, just slaw. That awesome one you make."

"You mean the apple & bacon one? Or the ginger carrot one? Or the one with the green onion & cilantro dressing? Or the mango one? Or the.." I trailed off trying to remember what magical slaw he was referring to.



In an attempt to recreate some long lost slaw, something told me to mix cabbage, carrot, apple and beet, and toss it in my new favourite dressing. And you know what? It was amazing. Do I really need to mention that?


1/4 of a red cabbage (in a pinch I've used green, but I really prefer red)
1 large beet, ends trimmed off
2 large carrots
1 macintosh apple
1 small shallot


Slice the cabbage and beets with the thinest setting on a mandoline. Stack up the beets and cut them into thin matchsticks. Grate the carrot, chop the shallot and cut the apple into thin matchsticks.


Toss everything in a bowl with the dressing below.




Equal parts:
Grainy honey dijon mustard
Red wine vinegar
Extra virgin olive oilPin It

2 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails