Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Apple Coffee Cake


This cake has just become my winter "everyday cake".
What is an everyday cake? And what was my summer version?

An everyday cake is a cake that needs no occasion. It's quick to make (and even quicker to eat),  and doesn't rely on any frosting or elaborate layers.
For the last two years this cake was my go-to everyday cake.
When I first discovered it I probably made it about 6 times in two weeks. But with all those luscious raspberries it's clearly only a seasonal everyday cake, and after my first bite of this apple coffee cake I knew I had found my winter replacement.




From Simply Recipes
1/4 cup plus 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
2/3 cup white sugar, divided
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1 apple (I used cortland), peeled cored and sliced

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a pie dish, square baking pan, or cake pan.
Cream the butter and 1/3 cup of the sugar together in a large bowl. In a small bowl combine the remaining 1/3 cup sugar with the cinnamon.
In another bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt and mix well.
Add the egg to the butter sugar mixture and beat until blended. Add the flour mixture in three additions alternating with the milk, mixing until just combined.
Spread half of the batter into the prepared dish and cover with apple slices. Sprinkle half of the cinnamon sugar mixture over the apples. Spread the remaining batter over the apples and sprinkle the remaining cinnamon and sugar on top.
Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown and apples start to bubble at the edges.
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails