Saturday, January 15, 2011

Tomato Soup


My favourite kind of tomato soup (other than this one) is one that is chock full of veggies and herbs, especially basil. I puree it into the heartiest, faux creamy tomato soup ever, and could easily eat a whole pot of it myself. My husband on the other hand quietly complains that he doesn't want to eat "a bowl of pasta sauce" for dinner (clearly he's a bit crazy for not understanding my version of soup heaven).
So I guess you could say that this soup is my way of trying to call a truce on our tomato soup arguments.

Plain, simple and oh so classic.



This soup is unbelievably easy and quick to make. It would be nice in the summer to use fresh tomatoes (especially if you roasted half of them), but for now give yourself a break and go with the canned tomatoes.
It tastes just like the soup I ate as a child, but better.

Adapted from Martha Stewart

6 tablespoons unsalted butter (don't swap this for oil, you can really taste it!)
2 onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
28 ounce can of tomatoes
3 cups stock
2 teaspoons sea salt*
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat and cook the onions and garlic until the onions have softened, about 15 minutes. (At this point I added a pinch or two of dried thyme) Add tomatoes, stock, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook for about 20 minutes.
Blend with an immersion blender until smooth and creamy.

*This seemed like an awful lot of salt to me...I ended up only using 1 teaspoon of table salt and it tasted perfect (but I also used salted butter).Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails