Sunday, March 27, 2011

Pear Pie


There's really nothing like polishing off a big meal with a slice of freshly baked pie. This pear pie was easily my favourite part of our huge thanksgiving dinner this year.
It's now officially spring and there are still pears at the farmers market, so I couldn't help but make this one more time before they're gone.


I couldn't decide if I wanted to make a booze infused whipped cream or a salted dark caramel to top this pie, but then our dinner guests showed up with a container of banana cardamom ice cream. Problem solved! And it was a match made in heaven. Cardamom + Pear = Fantastic!
Unfortunately I was too distracted with said dinner guests that there were no photos of the finished pie, so just use your imagination ok?



As always I made my own crust (and you should too!)
My inspiration for the filling came from Epicurious:

6 pears
juice of one small lemon
1/4 cup of brown sugar
1/4 cup of maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 vanilla bean (slice lengthwise and scrape out insides)
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon white sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Peel, halve and remove cores from pears. Cut into 1/4" slices.
Combine remaining ingredients in a bowl with pears and toss well, then pour into prepared pie crust.
If desired roll out additional pie dough, cut into strips and lay across pie to create a lattice.
Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails