Saturday, March 5, 2011

Shaved Beet & Proscuitto Pizza


Last night I planned on making a pizza version of this caramelized onion tart. But as I gathered onions from the pantry I couldn't help but notice the sad looking bag of beets that has been somewhat ignored lately. I think I've already gone off the deep end in terms of pizza toppings, so what's stopping me from trying one with beets?
Truthfully the beets weren't really a dominating flavour on this pizza, all the toppings went quite nicely together. Pair this with a simple green salad, a bottle of red, and don't forget to invite me over. 

4 yellow onions, cut in half then sliced
2 tablespoons butter*
1 ball of pizza dough (I divided mine in two)
1 small beet, shaved into small pieces
4 slices of proscuitto
coarse salt and fresh cracked pepper
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese

mustard sauce:
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup grainy honey dijon mustard
3 cloves of garlic, minced


Begin by melting one tablespoon of butter in pan over medium low heat. Add sliced onions and cook stirring occasionally until they become translucent. Add remaining tablespoon of butter, reduce heat to low and continue to cook stirring occasionally for another hour or so until onions have reduced and are a deep shade of brown. 
Preheat oven to 500 degrees. 
Roll out dough and top with mustard sauce. Arrange beet shavings, caramelized onions and proscuitto evenly over dough. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and cheese. 
Bake for about 10-12 minutes.

Pin It

2 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails