Saturday, April 16, 2011

Dijon Potato Salad


I don't know about you, but when I return home after a vacation I can't wait to get back into my routine.
During the last day or so of our recent vacation in Montreal I felt my mind slowly being distracted with thoughts of new sewing and knitting projects.
Today (being our first real day back) I anxiously woke up early and headed to the market to stock up our empty fridge with fresh produce. There were thankfully lots  of new spring offerings that made me so excited to get into the kitchen, like tatsoi and mustard frills. I've been waiting weeks (if not months) to feel this excited about produce, and it feels good!


This salad was inspired by one that my friend the Feisty Chef made for a dinner at our cafe. Her salad was a bit different (and much more amazing!) but this was pretty darn great.

6-8 small potatoes
juice of 1 lemon
tablespoon of fresh dill
3-4 strips of maple bacon
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
2-3 tablespoons grainy dijon mustard*
a generous helping of salt and pepper to taste
handful of pea shoots and mustard frills (or other small greens that have some bite/bitterness to them)

Boil whole potatoes until soft. Meanwhile cook bacon. Drain potatoes and let cool. Once cool enough to handle gently quarter them and place in large bowl. Squeeze lemon juice over potatoes. Chop bacon and fresh dill and add to potatoes. Mix olive oil, mustard, and vinegar and pour over potatoes, tossing to coat. Season with salt and pepper Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to let flavours meld, taste before serving and add  more salt and pepper if necessary.

Place on a bed of greens and dig in!


*I used a honey dijon (which I usually love) but it was just a bit too sweet here and next time I'll use a regular djion for sure.Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails