Saturday, April 23, 2011

Halibut En Papillote


Today has just felt like such a fresh crisp spring day. I bought quite a variety of fresh local greens and some fresh halibut at the market today (along with radishes and pussy willows!) and thought "What a better way to end a beautiful spring day than to turn this into tonight's meal?"

I am willing to admit that I'm not very skilled in any aspects of cooking meat or fish. I mean I can get by, but it's not usually much to write home about. I bought "Martha Stewart's Cooking School" some time last year and had made a mental note to let Martha teach me how to cook meat and fish. Well it may have taken many months for me to actually pull out the book and start my first lesson, but it's better late than never right?

So this is the part where I tell you how fantastic and incredibly easy this was, how I'm now feeling much more confidant in cooking fish, and how you need to make this ASAP. Even my husband exclaimed "Whoa." after the first bite.

4 skinless pieces of halibut
coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
1 bunch of spinach
2 lemons, one sliced and one cut into wedges

4 tablespoons butter (room temperature)
2 tablespoons chopped basil
2 tablespoons capers*
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1 minced garlic clove

Heat oven to 400 degrees. 
Cream butter and mix in basil, capers, lemon zest and garlic glove until combined. 
Lightly season fish on both sides with salt and pepper. 
Cut four pieces of parchment paper (about 12" X 17") and fold each in half. Divide spinach among parchment, placing it on one side of the fold. Place 2 lemon slices on top of each spinach portion and top with a fillet. Spoon a portion of lemon caper butter on top of each fillet. Fold parchment over fish and fold edges tightly to seal. 
Place packets on rimmed baking sheet and cook in the oven until parchment puffs up, about 12 minutes.
Serve with lemon wedges.


*Although I like capers I wasn't in love with them in this dish. I think next time I'll chop them up a bit and use less.
Pin It

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails