Monday, May 23, 2011

Buttermilk Pancakes


Holidays are usually the only days my husband and I are guaranteed to be able to sleep in and enjoy a nice breakfast together. This morning the sun was shining (for what feels like the first time in months!) and our sunny patio was just the perfect setting for a simple breakfast of pancakes and fresh pressed juice. 
These are the moments I cherish.

I've always loved and made pancakes with a recipe from the Joy of Cooking (just like my mom used to make) but in recent years I've realized that I really love this Martha Stewart recipe a lot more. 

I've reduced the recipe to serve 2:

1 cup of flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1 egg lightly beaten*
1 1/2 cups buttermilk**
2 tablespoons butter, melted plus more for skillet
fruit, vanilla, or cinnamon are nice additions but not necessary

Combine the first five ingredients in a large bowl. Add egg, buttermilk and butter and stir until just combined (batter should have little lumps in it, don't over stir). Heat skillet over medium heat, and grease with butter. Using a ladle pour about 1/2 cup of batter onto skillet. Once bubbles appear on top of the pancake and it looks a little dry around the edges flip over and cook until bottom is golden brown.
Serve with butter and maple syrup.


*One trick that I learned from my mother and that I still continue to do with pancakes is to separate the egg yolk from the whites and beat the whites until their stiff. Lightly beat the yolks, add to bowl with other wet ingredients and mix. Then gently fold in the whites.

**If you don't have buttermilk you can add lemon juice to milk and let it curdle. The pancakes won't be quite as fat and fluffy but they'll still be delicious.





Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails