Monday, June 13, 2011

Crisp and Clumpy Granola


Granola is a tried and true breakfast staple for me. Topped with yogurt and hopefully some fresh fruit, it's how I start my day almost every day of the week.
I've been making my own granola using this recipe that I shared with you last fall, making small adjustments here and there but never straying too far from the original recipe. It's served me well but the time has come for me step outside of my granola bubble and try something new.

I'll admit, I was nervous. But I shook myself free of my "if it ain't broke don't fix it" attitude and marched on over to the one blog I knew could help me find my way in the world of granola (and breakfast in general), Everybody likes Sandwiches.
This granola has the perfect crispy texture with lots of clumps. It's not very sweet which is just the way I like it. Hello, new staple recipe!

Adapted from Everybody likes Sandwiches

3 cups oats
1/4 cup ground flax seeds
1/4 wheat germ
1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups nuts (I used slivered almonds, walnuts, and pecans)
1/2 cup coconut
1 1/2 tablespoons oil
1 cup applesauce
1-2 tablespoons honey*
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup sunflower seeds

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. In a large bowl mix oats, flax, wheat germ, spices, nuts and coconut. In a measuring cup combine applesauce, oil and honey. Pour wet ingredients into the large bowl and combine well. Spread mixture onto baking sheets, leaving it fairly clumpy.
Bake for an hour making sure to stir the granola a few times during baking.
Once granola comes out of the oven add raisins and seeds.


* 1-2 tablespoons is a bit of a guestimate...I just poured some in. In fact the same goes for the raisins and seeds...who needs proper measurements anyway?Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails