Saturday, July 30, 2011

Roasted Broccoli


For the last year or so I've been challenging myself to buy as much of my groceries locally as possible. In doing so I not only have a truer sense of the seasons here in Nova Scotia, but also a greater appreciation for my food. After suffering through a winter with fairly limited produce I promised myself I'd enjoy all that spring and summer have to offer by eating a wide variety of local produce. So what's a gal to do with produce she's not crazy about? Find a way to love it!

Broccoli is one of those things that just never stood out to me as an exciting delicious vegetable. I've always thought of it as the sort of thing mums snuck into their kids food, was usually overcooked, and often smothered in cheese to make it more appealing.
This broccoli dish however, really pleasantly surprised me. I actually bought more broccoli again today because I can't wait to make it again!

Adapted from Ina Garten.

3 stalks of broccoli
2 cloves garlic
olive oil
coarse salt
1/2 cup cooked quinoa
zest of 1 lemon
juice of 1/2 lemon
handful of pine nuts
1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
2-4 large basil leaves
freshly cracked pepper


Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Cut broccoli into bite size pieces and toss in olive oil in a roasting pan with chopped garlic. Sprinkle with coarse salt and roast for about 20-25 minutes.
Meanwhile in a pan over medium heat toast pine nuts until golden and aromatic (watch em though, they'll burn fast!). Add lemon zest and juice to quinoa. Julienne basil leaves and set aside.
When broccoli is done remove from oven and add cooked quinoa and remaining ingredients to pan and toss to coat.Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails