Friday, August 5, 2011

Bean & Corn Salad


I know you probably won't believe me when I say I've been lacking some serious kitchen inspiration lately, but it's true!
Despite the stack of cookbooks on my dining table, hoards of bookmarked recipes on my computer, and a fridge full of local produce just begging to be eaten, I just can't seem to get excited about cooking lately.
Actually I should rephrase that. I haven't been excited about "everyday" cooking (such as making myself and my husband healthy and delicious lunches everyday). Planning meals for dinner has been less of a problem, thanks to cooking classes I've been taking with the Feisty Chef. But for the food we eat during the hours of 11am - 4pm, I've been drawing a blank.

Last night I finally mustered up the motivation to inspire myself and I weeded through recipes I've bookmarked for the last few years and found some new ones I haven't tried, namely this one.

Adapted from/Inspired by  Smitten Kitchen

1 cup cooked grains (I used a blend of quinoa, pearl barley, rice and lentils)
1 pound green beans, trimmed and cut in half
1/2 cup shelled fava beans*
1 cup fresh raw corn kernels
1 large bunch of arugula

1 tablespoon freshly chopped basil
1 teaspoon freshly chopped parsley

1/4 cup olive oil
1/8 cup white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
1 large shallot, minced
salt and pepper
lemon zest

Blanch green beans and fava beans and cool in an ice bath. Drain well. Combine beans, corn, grains, herbs and arugula together in a large bowl. In a small bowl or jar whisk together the oil, vinegar, shallot and mustard. Pour dressing over salad, toss well to coat. Season with salt, pepper and lemon zest.


*Don't forget to shell the beans again after they've been cookedPin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails