Friday, September 23, 2011

Corn Stock


So have you been freezing any delicious local corn lately? If not, you still have time to head to the market this weekend and get some, and then you can use the leftover cobs to create the tastiest corn soup stock ever. I really can't wait for that snowy winter night when I can take this out of our freezer along with some frozen corn and make a sweet corn chowder that will make my kitchen smell just like summer.

I read about corn stock on Local Kitchen the other day and was totally inspired. Why on earth haven't I been using those corn cobs to make myself some super flavourful soup stock?? It feels like I'm getting that much more bang for my buck to be able to make something out of (what feels like) nothing. But I guess that's the beauty of making stocks in general. Using up vegetable scraps, and or poultry or fish carcasses that would otherwise be throw out to create something so useful, and of course delicious.

6 corn cobs (corn kernels cut off for another use)
1 onion
2 stalks of celery (with leaves)
2 teaspoons peppercorns
2 bay leaves
salt to taste (I think I used about a tablespoon)

Snap corn cobs in half (so they fit easier in the pot) and chop celery and onion. Put vegetables in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and add peppercorns and bay leaves. Reduce to a simmer and let cook for about an hour or so. Drain stock and discard solids. Taste and add salt accordingly.
Let stock cool and then transfer to freezer containers* and freeze until ready to use.
Obviously this will make the best corn based soups, but I will definitely experiment with adding a bit to other vegetable soups and maybe even risotto.

*I like to freeze stock not only in containers (usually holding 2 cups or more) but also in ice cube trays. Once the cubes of stock are frozen I'll throw them into a labeled ziploc bag. That way I can use a small amount to flavour any grains I'm cooking like rice, lentils, etc.Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails