Sunday, September 4, 2011

Plum Vanilla Jam


I wish I had an good excuse as to why I've been withholding this gem of recipe from you. I guess I could say that it's because I've been swamped with keeping up with my preserving mayhem while hosting multiple house guests AND working a few shifts at the family biz.
But who cares what I've been up to, all you need to know is that this jam is so flavourful and perfectly tart that it's easily won the title of "My Favourite Jam Ever".


Adapted from Liana Krissoff's "Canning for a New Generation"

Krissoff's version uses cardamom, which I did try in a later batch that I haven't yet tasted. I'm sure it'll be equally amazing.

4 pounds plums
2 cups sugar
3 tablespoons lime juice
1 or 2 vanilla bean pods

Pit plums and put in large preserving pot with sugar over high heat. Once it begins to boil reduce heat and simmer for another 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Pour fruit and juices into a colander over a bowl and drain juices. Pour juices back into preserving pot and bring to a boil. Boil while stirring occasionally until syrup is reduced and thick about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile bring canning pot full of water to a boil and sterilize jars by boiling in water for 10 minutes.
Return fruit and any other accumulated juices back to pot with lime juice and vanilla bean pods (I sliced the pods lengthwise and tried to scrape as much vanilla into the pot as well as just put the whole pods in the pot. Bring mixture to a simmer and let cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Take hot sterilized jars out of canning pot and place on towel nearby. Place lids in a shallow boil and cover with boiling water. Remove vanilla pods from jam and discard. Drain the hot water off of the lids.
Ladle hot jam into the hot jars leaving 1/4" headspace at the top. Wipe rims clean with a damp towel. Place on lids and screw on metal bands until just finger tight. Place jars in boiling water in canning pot and process for 5 minutes to process.
Remove jars from canning pot and place on towel nearby. Let sit undisturbed for 12 hours. If any lids haven't sealed (popped down) then refrigerate immediately. Label and store all sealed jars.Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails