Saturday, January 21, 2012

Jerk Chicken


This is the kind of meal that heals me at times like these. Times when I'm overwhelmed with thoughts of the future and many questions about the present. My husband and I knew January would be a busy month for us and oh how it delivered! But there's a light at the end of the tunnel and I think I see it shining in the distance around mid February. Only a few more weeks to go!

But where was I...foods that heal me...right.
I always have those days during winter when I just need a little something summery to brighten me up. What better than some spicy jerk chicken, sweet potato fries and a light and zesty cucumber salad.

My friend Renee shared with me how she makes jerk chicken in one of her amazing cooking classes and below is an adaptation:

chicken pieces of your choice (I used 4 thighs and had enough sauce to probably do 6 or 8)

1/4 cup jerk sauce (I used Grace brand)
1/2 cup molasses
1/4 cup olive oil
zest and juice of 1 lime
handfull of chopped cilantro (about 1/2 cup)

Mix well in a large shallow bowl. Add chicken and toss to coat. Let marinate at room temperature for 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place chicken in baking dish and spoon a little sauce on top of each piece. Bake for 25 minutes. Usually I like to broil it for about 5 minutes to make the skin a little crispier as well. Cover and let rest for 5 minutes.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails