Sunday, February 26, 2012

Chocolate Pear Cake


My husband laughs at me a little when he peers over my shoulder and sees me browsing cake recipes online. I suppose what he's laughing at is the fact that this is during an average Saturday afternoon, no occasion that warrants a cake, yet cake is on my brain and I just can't shake it. I don't want anything fancy, or too sweet. Just a luscious cake filled with some kind of seasonal fruit that I can eat without too much guilt.
This everyday cake seemed to fit the bill perfectly. Browned butter, chocolate, and juicy pears. Lovely on a Saturday afternoon, and even better for a Sunday morning.

Adapted from Smitten Kitchen

1 cup flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 eggs at room temperature
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar*
3 pears chopped in a small dice (I used Bosc and didn't bother to peel them)
3/4 cup bittersweet chocolate chunks*

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Butter a 9 inch spring form pan.
Combine flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
Using a mixer with a whisk attachment, whip the eggs on high speed until pale and very thick (about 9 minutes).
Meanwhile melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook until butter browns and smells a bit nutty (about 6-8 minutes). Stir frequently to ensure even browning.
Add sugar to eggs and continue to whip. As the sugar egg mixture is beginning to loose volume, slow mixer down to low speed and add flour and butter, alternating between flour and butter, starting and ending with flour. When adding last portion of flour turn off mixer and gently fold in flour making sure not to over mix.
Pour into prepared pan and sprinkle with chopped pear and chocolate (top of cake will be pretty much covered). Bake for about 40-50 minutes or until golden brown and knife comes out clean.

Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream. Or enjoy it on its on for a lighter treat.


*I used 70% cocoa chocolate chips that are not exactly bittersweet...so I scaled the sugar back by a tablespoon or two.Pin It

1 comment:

  1. This sounds so good Alexis!
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Marie-Helenes-Apple-Cake-361150 - my most favorite 'guilt free' cake. so much fruit I can convince myself to forget about the butter and sugar!
    -Laura

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails