Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Green Potato Salad


Well my least favourite time of year is upon us: the end of winter. You're probably thinking "The end of winter? That sounds like a great time of year! Spring is around the corner, change is in the air..." but those few weeks make me restless and irritable. I'm sick of winter foods and all I crave are fresh tomatoes, radishes, cucumbers, lettuce, berries, peaches, peas, zucchini...ugh it's torture just thinking about all that scrumptious produce that is just out of my reach.
And to add to that annoying nagging feeling of wanting time to fast forward, this is also the time of year when I begin to become OBSESSED with gardening again. I have literally been having dreams about transplants, I kid you not. And just like the produce I long for, waiting for the rare sunny days to help my seedlings grow feels rather agonizing. 

So what's a housewife to do? Well the other day I decided to try to brighten up my day with this summery potato salad. With bright lemon, spicy arugula and creamy avocado, it totally hit the spot and helped make the long grey day feel a little more tolerable. 
Adapted from Two Spoons

4 or 5 medium sized potatoes
2 or 3 strips of bacon
1 green onion
juice of 1 lemon
olive oil (double the volume of the lemon juice)
2 teaspoons of grainy dijon mustard
handfull of arugula
1 avocado, peeled and pitted
salt & pepper to taste

Boil potatoes until tender. Meanwhile cook bacon and let cool on paper towel. Remove potatoes from water, slice in half then quarters and let cool. In a large bowl mix lemon juice, olive oil, mustard. Add avocado and lightly mash with a fork into dressing. It's okay if there are large chunks left, they will continue to get mashed up as you mix the salad together.
Mince green onion and tear up arugula. Chop bacon into little pieces. Once potatoes are cool (or just slightly warm if you're okay with that) add to bowl of dressing. Toss in onions, arugula and bacon. Mix everything well and season with salt and pepper.Pin It

5 comments:

  1. yum! i'm making this today!! what type of potatoes did u use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i used red skinned ones. i think you'll love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. will be making this todaaaayyy!!!! thanks alexis

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh the daunting length of Halifax winters i am yet to experience terrifies me.
    Its been fine here to sit on the beach without a coat for 2 weeks now.
    Totally feeling the summer salad idea.
    I had Tricolore Salad with baked salmon for lunch.
    I'll send you over some spring time :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for posting this!!! I made it and it was fantastic.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails