Friday, May 18, 2012

Wilted Swiss Chard Potato Salad


Everyone keeps asking me if I've been having any strange cravings while pregnant. I feel like I'm almost disappointing people when I say no, not really. I remember asking pregnant friends the same thing, so curious of the weird and wacky food combinations they were eating. But most of them, like myself had nothing interesting to share.
I do feel like I'm eating a little differently but not all that "weird". There were a few weeks there when I could eat a bowl of cherry tomatoes simply dressed a few times a day, yet now it just doesn't appeal to me in the same way.
Around the same time I'd also slather a piece of toast with an inch thick layer of herb goat cheese and savour every tangy bite.
Lately I'd be pretty happy to eat some sort of grilled sausage on a bun smothered in mustard at any point in the day, but that's about it for real "cravings".

For the rest of the time I'm still trying to just enjoy all that spring has to offer. This salad is a perfect example of such. Asparagus, swiss chard and quinoa make this potato salad feel like a much healthier version of it's usual self.



1/2 cup quinoa
5 or 6 fingerling potatoes
5 asparagus spears
1 green onion, chopped
large handful of swiss chard leaves
tablespoon fresh chopped dill
black pepper
salt

dressing is equal parts:
olive oil
lemon juice
grainy dijon mustard


Boil potatoes whole, until just tender. Meanwhile bring quinoa to a boil in 1 cup of water. Reduce heat to a simmer and cover until water is absorbed, stirring occasionally.
Transfer quinoa to a large bowl to let it begin to cool (we're going to dress the salad while warm so don't worry about letting it cool completely). Remove woody ends of asparagus, halve and chop into bite size pieces. Once potatoes are cooked remove from heat and toss in your asparagus. Cover with lid and let asparagus cook for around 5 minutes (maybe not even that long, just enough that it's bright green and slightly tender) then drain out water. Slice or chop potatoes into bite size pieces. Add asparagus, potatoes and dressing to quinoa and toss well to coat. Roll your swiss chard leaves into a tight bundle and thinly slice. Add to salad along with dill and green onion, and season with salt and pepper. Toss well so that the warmth of the cooked ingredients will gently wilt the swiss chard.
Serve warm or at room temperature.Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails