Monday, July 16, 2012

Nursing Pillow


Wanna know a secret? Sometimes I get lazy. Sometimes I give up and buy things I could make. Sometimes I just don't have the time or the drive to fulfill all my handmade dreams.
It happens to the best of us, right?

I had always wanted to make my own nursing pillow after seeing a cute handmade one in Lotta Jansdotters book "Simple Sewing for Baby". But while registering for our baby shower I had a moment of weakness and thought "Geez, I can't do everything myself. Maybe I should cut myself a break and just have a store bought pillow."
Thankfully I have a great partner in life who at just the right moments gently reminds me that I can do it myself. And sure maybe it'll be a while before I really find the time, but it will get done. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but someday.
This little life lesson is also one that I think my son is helping teach me from the womb. "It can wait" he says, as he makes me put off tasks for another day in favour of rest and relaxation. And it's true, most things can wait. The floors can be dirty for another day or two, the laundry can sit piled on the dresser moments away from it's final destination inside the drawers. Heck, even the bread dough can rise another day and not mind one bit.

When the baby shower rolled around there was no nursing pillow to be found amongst the gifts and I was secretly relieved. I added "make a nursing pillow" back onto my to-do-someday list, and just relaxed knowing that eventually the time would be found to get it done.
This morning the stars aligned (with the very cool morning breeze that blew into my sewing room) and I spent maybe 10-20 minutes making this simple but hopefully very useful pillow.Pin It

1 comment:

  1. You're amazing Alexis! Such a good lesson from your little guy already to enjoy relaxing too. I can't wait to see him! He's going to be such a well dressed little dude! x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails